Historic junior golf tournament began in 1981 and became JGAA-sanctioned event in 1992
The 35th annual Desert Mashie Spring Championship teed off at Encanto Golf Course March 28-29. Hosted by the Junior Golf Association of Arizona (JGAA), the field featured 178 junior golfers – boys and girls – ages 8-18 competing in five age groups. CLICK HERE for full results. CHECK OUT THE PHOTOS!
Brock Goyen (far right) took 1st Place with a 66-67-133 over a hard charging Aaron Ramos (middle) who fired a low 65 on Sunday. Brock hung in there for his first win of the season with an albatross(double eagle) on #12 with a second shot 5-iron.
Mikayla Fitzpatrick (far left) shot a steady 71-71-142 to edge out Madasyn Pettersen (middle) who finished 2nd in the Phoenix Metro and 4th in the AM&E. This is Mikayla’s second win already this season, she finished first in the Phoenix Metro over Madasyn as well.
- In the Boys Championship Division, Brock Goyen of Gilbert topped Aaron Ramos of Goodyear by two strokes, posting a 7-under-par 133 for 36 holes.
- Tom Katsenes of Scottsdale won the Boys 15-18 Division at 1-under par (68-71—139).
- Hayden Sayre of Phoenix won the Boys 13-14 Division at 1-under par (70-69—139).
- Noah Nuez of Laveen took top honors in the Boys 11-12 Division at 2-under par (62-56—118).
- Nicklas Nuez from Laveen won the Boys 10 and Under Division at 5-over par (31-34—65).
- In the Girls Championship Division, Mikayla Fitzpatrick of Phoenix edged out Madasyn Pettersen of Rockford, Ill. by two strokes to post 2-over par (71-71—142).
- Katelyn Allen of Albuquerque, N.M. won in the Girls 15-18 Division at 7-over par (74-73—147).
- Ashley Menne of Surprise won the Girls 13-14 Division at 4-over par (73-71—144).
- Lauren Garcia of Gilbert won the Girls 11-12 Division at 12-over par (69-63—132).
- Natalie Lamadrid won in the Girls 10 and Under Division at 26-over par (44-42—86).
“The Desert Mashie is something we look forward to all year,” said Scott McNevin, Executive Director of the JGAA. “It’s an honor for us to carry on the tradition of this tournament started by a group of people with a common passion for golf and the desire to see more kids grow up with the game.”
The Desert Mashie Golf Club – formed by a group of Phoenix-area golf enthusiasts in 1946 – first held the Desert Mashie Spring Championship in 1981 at Encanto Golf Course, and it became a JGAA-sanctioned event in 1992. The founding fathers of the club were Dr. Thomas A. Crump, Aubrey C. Aldridge, Earl Le Near, Earnest S. Bartlett, Dr. Lowell C. Wormley, Curtis “Dock” Earl, William Robbie” Robinson, Ray Mercado and Densil Perdue. Today the Desert Mashie is the oldest public golf club in Arizona.